This story is partCNET’s full coverage from and about Apple’s annual developer conference.
Applesis still in its developer beta stage after being unveiled at earlier in June. The iPhone maker’s latest mobile operating system is only available to members of the Apple Developer Program, but you can download it now if you want.
Among the new iOS 16 features announced so far is afor the iPhone, the possibility of and . And while the upgrade isn’t slated for general release until September, we’ll tell you how to get your hands on iOS 16 right now — before it even enters its public beta phase.
Although it is easy to download and install iOS 16, be aware that this preview, especially because like all developer betas, iOS 16 may currently have unfinished features. These early betas are intended for developers, to help them keep their apps up to date while providing early access to the latest features.
That’s all to make it clear thaton your primary device if you really want to experience that version of iOS 16, but maybe a spare iPhone new enough to work with iOS 16 instead ( ). If you want to follow these steps, we’ll also show you what to do in case you need to downgrade to a stable version of iOS 15.
If you want to know more about iOS 16, check out the, and .
Before you download iOS 16, here’s what you need to know
Since iOS 16 is an early preview, the software will be full of bugs and other issues.
Still, if you plan to download iOS 16, do it on a backup or secondary phone, if available. iOS 16 beta preview issues could cripple your phone and make it difficult to use, disabling phone calls or texts, or making it extremely slow. However, if you only have your primary phone or tablet, Make sure you back up your device on iOS 15 before updating to iOS 16. This way, you have the option to roll back to iOS 15 if there are too many issues on the new OS.
Also you must have a iPhone 8 or later to run iOS 16. The next mobile software update will not be applied to iPhone SE (2016), iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus.
If you haven’t already, join the Apple Developer Program
The first step to getting iOS 16 on your iPhone or iPad is to join the Apple Developer Program if you’re not already a member. If you’re on your iPhone or iPad, here’s how you can sign up:
1. Download the Apple Developer app from the App Store.
2. Launch the app, go to Account and press Register now.
3. Sign in with your Apple ID credentials.
4. Read the different benefits and instructions, enter your personal information and scan your ID to verify your identity.
5. Once this information is submitted, you must choose your entity (individual for most people) and accept the program license agreement.
6. Finally, pay the Apple Developer membership fee (with Apple Pay), which is $99 (about £80 or AU$140) per year.
After successfully completing the payment, you will be redirected to your account page in the Apple Developer app. Here you can check that you are now registered, and you can also check when your membership expires next year.
Download iOS 16 with Live Update on your iPhone or iPad
The easiest way to download iOS 16 is to perform an over-the-air update, just like you would any other new software release on your device. Here’s how:
1. On your iPhone or iPad, go to the Apple Developer Program download page, tap Install profile for iOS 16 beta (iPhone) or iPadOS 16 beta (iPad) and press Allow.
2. Next, open the Settings app, tap Profile uploaded and knock Install top right when it appears. Enter your password if prompted, then press Install two more times. Your phone will need to restart.
3. Once your phone restarts, connect it to power, make sure you’re on Wi-Fi, and go to Settings > General > Software update. If you don’t instantly see an available update, wait a few minutes and check again.
4. Finally, hit Download and install > Install and enter your password to update your device.
Once your phone is done restarting, you should have access to the latest iOS 16 developer beta.
You can also download iOS 16 using your Mac
Over-the-air updates require a certain amount of storage, and if you don’t have it available, using your computer is really the only way to update to iOS 16 without manually clearing space.
1. On your Mac, go to the Apple Developer Program download page, search for iOS 16 beta or iPadOS 16 beta, and click Download restoration images.
2. Download the beta iOS software restore image for your specific device.
3. Next, connect your device to your computer and enter your device’s passcode or tap Trust this computer if you are prompted.
4. Open Finder and click on your device in the sidebar under Pitches.
5. Usually next to Software you will see the latest software running on your device.
6. hold it Option button, click Check Update and choose the iOS 16 beta software rollback image you just downloaded from the Apple Developer page.
The iOS 16 beta software will install on your device. Wait a few minutes and when your phone reboots, you should have access to iOS 16.